Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Who is it Wednesday

So today, your guest blogger is....Me! For those of you who don't know who I am, I'm Marc, Heidi's husband. Heidi found this great idea for making shirts, and she wanted to try it out, but was too tired from the kids, so I got to play!

What I've got here are two green shirts, and using some bleach, cutouts, and time, they will transform into something amazing, hopefully.
















What I've got here are the two shirts, some bleach (it's full strength bleach in the spray bottle), partially cut out letters and a clean workspace. It's important to have a clean workspace as the bleach will discolor just about everything! The letters I cut out with a razor blade on a scrap piece of wood. I also cut out a shamrock that appears later on.














Here are the letters fully cutout. They were printed on a laser-jet, so the ink won't run when wetted by the bleach (It's not really ink, it's toner, which is a plastic, hence why it won't run).



Here is Quito's shirt partially bleached. I put a cutting board inside the shirt to prevent the bleach from working on the back of the shirt. You can see where the bleach is starting to work around the edges of the shirt. the really wet area in the middle is where there is still bleach. I used a lot more bleach than I probably should have - a little bit goes a long way! Everywhere the bleach touches, will change colors, take care!



















Here is Quito sporting the finished product. After the bleach had worked its magic on the shirt, I took it over to the sink and rinsed it out really well, and then ran it through the wash. I did Quito's and Kate's in series (one then the other) so that I wouldn't be too rushed. In hind sight, I could have done both at the same time. Heidi tried to get a picture of Kate wearing hers, but she wouldn't hold still long enough (I guess it's just something about two year olds).

And it should be noted that this idea was borrowed from Pitter patter (one of the blogs my wife follows).

1 comment:

  1. sooooo CUTE!!!
    Dallin has a shirt that says go green but I got it the unoriginal lazy way and bought it at Childrens Place. haha

    ReplyDelete